All individuals entering the Forsyth County Hall of Justice are subject to a security search. Individuals who have obtained a security pass from the Forsyth County Government may be excused from the security search at the discretion of the attending security officer.
The use of electronic devices, such as cell phones, laptops, tablets, and cameras, is strictly prohibited inside of any courtroom; however, they may be brought into the Hall of Justice. Anyone who violates this policy may be required to forfeit their electronic device to courtroom security and may also be subject to the contempt powers of the court.
Food and Drink:
Food and non-alcoholic beverages are generally permitted inside the Hall of Justice, provided they are not in a glass container. Food and beverages are not allowed inside any courtroom. Vending machines are available to the public on the 1st Floor and to jurors on the 4th Floor.
It is unlawful to carry or possess any weapon in the building. Items found are subject to be taken by security and not returned. Prohibited items include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Aerosol Sprays
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Belts Containing Metal Studs and/or over-sized belt buckles
- Box Cutters
- Brass Knuckles, Slingshots, Nun-Chucks, Kubotans, etc.
- Can Openers
- Eating utensils
- Firearms or Items Resembling Firearms
- Fish Hooks
- Flammable, Explosive, Caustic, Irritant or otherwise Hazardous Substances
- Glass Containers
- Gun Belts
- Handcuff keys, handcuffs, and/or restraints
- Handheld Two-Way Radios
- Heavy Chains
- Illegal Controlled Substances (illegal drugs) and/or Paraphernalia
- Knitting Needles / Crochet Needles / Crochet Hooks / Craft Scissors
- Large Laundry Pins
- Laser pointers or Light Emitting Devices
- Meat Thermometers
- Metal Files of any type, Emery boards, Fingernail Files
- Metal Hair Picks
- Personal Defense Sprays (Pepper spray or “Mace”)
- “Selfie Sticks”
- Stun guns or “Tasers”
- Sharp or Pointed Items (Scissors, Tweezers, Hair picks, Rattail Combs, etc.)
- Tools of any type
- Any other item deemed potentially dangerous
Persons wearing shoes with metal covered, pointed toes and/or sharp metal studs will not be allowed to enter, unless they are a defendant in a scheduled court appearance, in which case, they are to be escorted to a bailiff for that court.
Persons with body piercings that could be removed and used as either weapons or tools will not be allowed to enter, unless they are a defendant in a scheduled court appearance, in which case, they are to be escorted to a bailiff for that court.
Persons showing obvious signs of impairment from alcohol or other impairing substances will be referred to a court officer of the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office.
There are two security entrances to the Hall of Justice: one on Liberty Street and one on Main Street. All jurors are requested to use the Main Street Entrance as it is normally faster and more convenient. Security Officers will try to move jurors who show their summons through as quickly as possible in keeping with proper security screening.