The process for requesting file copies has changed. Please read all instructions below:
Certain cases, files, and/or documents are NOT available through this service and must be handled in person or by way of another state agency. The following list of unavailable files is not necessarily a comprehensive or complete list.
**Please also note that we will not process more than 20 files per customer per day.
***You must have the file number and name/s to Request File Copy via email.
Must Be Requested in Person or by Mail:
- Cases Files prior to the following dates:
- Civil District/Civil Superior (CVD/CVS) March 1, 2007
- Civil Registrations (R) January 1, 2008
- Civil Miscellaneous (M) January 1, 2007
- Civil Magistrate (CVM) March 1, 2007
- Criminal Superior (CRS) January 1, 2010
- Criminal District (CR, IF) January 1, 2007
- Entire files greater than 50 pages
- Background Record Checks
- Expungements (Click Here for for more information)
- Records that are only available to the Clerk’s Office via microfilm, microfiche, etc
Must Be Requested by way of another Agency:
- Records that have been turned over to the State Archives (Click Here for more information)
- Records that are not maintained by the Clerk of Superior Court
File Copy Fees
If you need certified copies or a criminal background record check, you must mail a self-addressed, pre-paid envelope along with payment (certified funds) to: Clerk of Court, ATTN: Civil Records, PO Box 20099, Winston-Salem, NC 27120
Certified Copy $3.00 first page and .25 each additional page
Civil Revocation $100.00
Criminal Background Record Check $25.00
Regular Copies by mail (NOT Certified)* $2.00 first page and .25 each additional page
**Any request for copies to be mailed must included a self-addressed, prepaid envelope and be paid in advance with certified funds
- Please allow up to 5 Business Days for your request to be processed. If you have not received an answer to your request within 5 business days, please re-submit your request.
- Estate files from 2008 or earlier and Special Proceeding files (NOT including Foreclosures) from 2015 or earlier may not be immediately available or may be unavailable. If an immediate viewing is necessary, you will need to view the Microfilm or CD archives located in our Civil Records Division.
- If you need a file copy in a timelier manner, please be sure to indicate in the “Other Comments” section the date and time you need the information and we will do our best to accommodate your needs.
- Requests submitted after 3:00 pm and on weekends or holidays will be processed the following business day. Please keep in mind that on the first day after a weekend, holiday, or the office being closed due to inclement weather, response times may be longer than five (5) business days.
Please do NOT email our staff directly with requests! All requests for filed documents should be submitted using the designated email addresses below in order to ensure that we process your request in a timely fashion.
* Denotes required information. Failure to include required information will delay processing of your request.
Case/File Number* (MUST have)
What are you requesting?*
Additional Information or Comments
Please click appropriate email link below to email required information:
Civil (CVD, CVS, R, M)/Small Claims(CVM)/Special Proceedings(SP)
Criminal District (CR)
Criminal Superior (CRS)
Traffic (IF, CR)